The German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und
Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, globalisation and development, and global orders and foreign policies. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Research Fellow (work package “Turkey”) (m/f/d)
Applications are invited for a part-time position (65%), with a contract of three years, preferably starting 1 January 2022. The salary is commensurate with EG 13 TV-AVH / TVöD.
The successful candidate will work in the project ‘Explaining Middle-Power Engagement in External Regions: A Comparison of Iranian, Saudi, and Turkish Sub-Saharan Africa Policies’ funded by the German Research Foundation / Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. This project is led by Dr. Jens Heibach.
The successful candidate will
- contribute to all project components as appropriate
- contribute to the research on Turkish sub-Saharan Africa policies
- be an active member of the GIGA, be affiliated to the GIGA Institute for Middle East Studies, and belong to the Research Programme ‘Global Orders and Foreign Policies’
- contribute to the academic output of the project with single-authored and co-authored publications in leading scientific journals
- engage in the dissemination of project findings within the academic as well as policy community, and among the wider public
- an excellent university degree (master’s or equivalent) in political science, sociology, Middle East studies, or related social-science disciplines
- familiarity with research on Turkish foreign policy and key theories of International Relations
- proficiency in English
- proficiency in Turkish
- strong analytical skills
- strong teamwork skills
- familiarity with discourse analysis and Qualitative Data Analysis software
The GIGA strongly encourages concurrent work on a doctoral degree. The research fellow would become a member of the GIGA Doctoral Programme.
Other part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all genders.
Please fill out the application form (found here) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-21-14), including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, names and contact details of two references, list of publications if applicable, max. two work samples), as one PDF (except for the completed GIGA application form) to:
Daniela Wald, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA),
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: [email protected] (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 1 September 2021.