At Day & Ross, you’ll go far.
Day & Ross is one of Canada’s largest transportation companies, serving top brands across North America. We got our start hauling potatoes in 1950, and now we have a team of more than 8,000 employees, drivers and owner operators.
We believe our people are our greatest strength – and we treat them like family. For over a decade, we’ve been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, and we have been named a Top Company for Women to Work for in Transportation every year since 2018. Our industry recognition is a testament to the family values we share with our parent company, McCain Foods Limited.
About the Role
The Planner ensures timely and efficient movement of trucks and freight within a designated region to maximize efficiencies while minimizing empty miles and wait times.
Work Schedule: 5pm – 1am (Sunday – Thursday)
How You’ll Help
- Identify required loads two to three days out and organize for greatest efficiency
- Assign and line up loads and deliveries based on efficiency and information from Fleet Specialists
- Monitor scheduled runs to ensure they are on schedule and advise Fleet Specialists, Customer Service, and/or Planner in next region of any changes
- Promote driver friendly atmosphere on and off the road
- Investigate and address repeat late deliveries, load refusals, and non-compliance with SOPs
- Manage Brokers and driver time off, updating time away and time ready in the system
- Working closely with the safety team on driver training and safety related concerns as identified
- Manage / support compliance with random drug tests monthly
- Complete Broker pay sheets
- Work with brokers on statement issues, missed payments and related concerns.
- Work with drivers in regards to payment concerns or disputes on irregular duties such as working time or customer detention.
- Liaison between driver and/or broker with Safety, Compliance, Recruiting and operations departments as needed
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
Your Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of secondary education, with preference of post-secondary education in logistics or business administration
- A suitable combination of education and experience may be considered
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a time sensitive, planning and organizing role, preferable in the transportation industry
- Experience using MS Outlook, Excel & Word; must possess the aptitude for learning new programs
- Strong customer service focus, relationship building skills
- Good communication skills including the ability to relay information (verbal and written) between several parties and deliver a positive customer experience
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills, the ability to evaluate current situation, respond quickly to changing requirements, execute and escalate accordingly
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced deadline-driven setting
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a deadline driven environment; appropriate sense of urgency
- Ability to collaborate with others to meet customer expectations
- English, other languages an asset
- Able to work with little supervision
To apply, visit the Careers page on our website at dayross.com.
Day & Ross is committed to providing a safe working environment for our employees, visitors, vendors, customers, and other members of our communities. In line with our culture and values, we believe that being vaccinated is the most effective way to protect each other. It is therefore a requirement that the successful candidate for this role be fully vaccinated and have completed the mandatory incubation period prior to the candidate’s start date with Day & Ross.
Day & Ross is committed to applying the foregoing in accordance with applicable human rights legislation. The Company will review all requests for reasonable accommodation based on a protected ground on a case-by-case basis, and such accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Day & Ross undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
Please note that the successful candidate will be asked to provide reference and criminal background checks prior to employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a federally regulated employer, Day & Ross fully supports the principles of employment equity and encourages all qualified members of the designated groups to apply.