At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a versatile electro-mechanical technician, experienced with maintaining a variety of equipment? Do you have a passion for challenging problems? Then join the ATLAS Technical Coordination team which operates and maintains a unique particle physics detector, and contribute to the consolidation and to the development of the infrastructure of one of the largest particle-physics experiments in the world. CERN, Take Part!
You will join the:
- Physics Department (EP) which encompasses the experimental particle physics activities in the Organization
- The Safety & Operation (SO) Section of the ATLAS Detector Operation (ADO) Group, which is in charge of operating, maintaining and upgrading the technical and mechanical (infra-) structure of the ATLAS experiment and detectors
As a member of ATLAS Technical Coordination and inside EP-ADO-SO section, you will perform the following functions:
1. To provide technical support to the operation and maintenance of infrastructure on a wide variety of activities, in close relation with the Operation Manager (OPM):
- Be responsible for maintenance and equipment of rack cooling
- Be responsible for maintenance and equipment of rack power distribution
- Be responsible for the equipment of new racks with common Detector Control System (DCS) monitoring, as well as any required change of configuration and maintenance
- Perform maintenance and upgrade of common environmental control devices (e.g. webcams, temperature and humidity sensors etc.)
2. To provide technical support to the ATLAS safety team:
- In collaboration with the group responsible for Access & Alarms, coordinate the maintenance of the Sniffers system used to measure the concentration of smoke or flammable gas
- Be part of the Detector Safety System (DSS) piquet team
- Maintain DSS hardware (sensors, cabling, etc.) and participate to any development of this system
- Maintain rack fire extinguish system (Minimax)
- Act as Territory Safety Officer (TSO) for underground and/or surface installations
3. To participate to the infrastructure upgrade managed by the Technical Coordination:
- Participate to the upgrade of rack cooling and power distribution systems to match the requirement of future needs in the service cavern
- Be responsible for the installation and equipment of new racks in SR1 assembly and test facility
- Participate to cable routing and installation in the experimental and service caverns as well as in surface buildings used for the integration of upgrade detectors
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electro-mechanics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience in maintenance and assembly of electro-mechanical systems
- Knowledge of one or more of the following domains/equipment: cooling and ventilation, electrical distribution, cabling, sensors, sniffer systems
- Experience in working on various projects in parallel
- Experience in scheduling/coordinating maintenance work would be an advantage
- Experience in working in an international and multi-disciplinary team would be an asset
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Commissioning and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment
- Installation and dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment
- Electro-mechanical testing
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Demonstrating flexibility: being willing to work on different projects simultaneously
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.03.2022 (midday, 12:00 CET)
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-ADO-SO-2022-12-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician