Practitioner / consultant
No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
To ensure McLaren Automotive continues its desire to be “the sportscar company”, we are looking for an Design Engineer to join our Special Operations team.
Purpose of the role:
As Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and evolution of parts and systems for MSO (McLaren Special Operations) content. From concept, packaging, to surfacing and release you will work with a cross functional team delivering right first-time designs.
- Delivering full component and system level design solutions to required technical performance, weight, cost (BoM and Investment), quality and timing targets
- Aggressively seek to reduce vehicle weight at all opportunities
- Create design guides to assist in creating McLaren’s library of best practice
- Understand and support the package constraints for the components. Working with suppliers, Concept teams & DMU (Digital Mock Up) to ensure components and systems meet technical and package targets and to deliver detailed designs within DFM (Design For Manufacture) requirements
- Optimise design solutions to support vehicle assembly & service requirements
- Ensure design solutions deliver systems that meet attribute targets in NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness), ergonomic, durability, visibility & performance related attributes
- Ensure the components interface seamlessly to the wider car including structural interfaces & body panels
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Accredited Degree in an Engineering related discipline 2:1 or above
- Proficient in solid modelling and surfacing using a 3D CAD system – CATIA V5 preferred
- Experience of designing carbon fibre components highly desirable
- Excellent feasibility assessment of design proposals.
- Able to openly discuss ideas and listen to others, put forward own proposals, and work to a fact-based decision on the correct design choice.
- Confident in analysing and overcome technical challenges with workable and innovative engineering solutions
- Ability to generate clear drawings (BS:8888) with the focus on them being a communication tool
- Adaptable and flexible communication styles to effectively transfer key information
- Attitude befitting of the McLaren brand
- Delivery focused, with a record of accomplishment of on-time delivery
- Drive solutions and encourage others to be involved in the team
- Self-motivated to deliver excellence and perform beyond targets
- Good organisational skills and ability to project manage design tasks
Must have a flexible approach to working hours, travel requirements and adaptability to changing and multiple priorities