Utility Operator 1
Integrated Water Services – Water Infrastructure Operations
Regular Full time
Hours of Work
80 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$29.13 per hour
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on August 4, 2021
The focus of this position is water distribution with Water Operations at 479 Island Highway.
Under direct supervision, this entry level position performs routine tasks to assist in the installation, repair, service and maintenance of water and wastewater system components to ensure optimum performance of the Infrastructure Operations water supply, treatment and distribution systems (Regional/Juan de Fuca/ Saanich Peninsula/SSI & Pender) and wastewater treatment and collection and wastewater treatment systems (Core Area/Saanich Peninsula/SSI & Pender) in accordance with divisional standard operating procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs routine physically demanding construction and maintenance work.
- Follows established procedures to complete assigned tasks.
- Assists in the operation and maintenance of small equipment and vehicles which includes the safe transportation of materials.
- Operates and maintains routine equipment and vehicles including assisting with basic trouble shooting and routine problem solving.
- Reads and understands routine design drawings and/or sketches
- Cleans, conducts basic repairs and maintains equipment as directed.
- Completes required documentation and data for the maintenance management system.
- Obtains equipment parts and supplies, as required, to complete assigned tasks.
- Maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and customers.
- Undertakes traffic control responsibilities, as directed.
- Performs building and ground maintenance and cleaning in and around facilities.
- Assist with the response to emergencies, as directed.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Assists with testing, cleaning, repairing, exchanging, installing and maintaining water mains, water services, fittings, hydrants, flushes, valves, water meters, and other related equipment.
- Assists in the inspection, installation, repair, service and maintenance of equipment, such as: reservoir controls, pumping equipment, pressure reducing valves, pressure regulators, altitude valves, pump control valves, pressure and level recorders, intake screens and related equipment.
- Disinfects storage reservoirs and tanks.
- Minimum grade 12 education, plus 1 year related experience in construction or in a recognized utility environment.
- UO1: Employees upon completion of one (1) year and with a BC EOCP Level 1 Certification Water Distribution will progress to UO 2 classification.
- Must be physically fit to perform physically demanding work in all types of weather conditions and in a variety of environments, including confined spaces.
- Basic mechanical aptitude to perform the work, and must have experience using hand-tools, power-tools, and other equipment as would be used in a utility environment.
- Basic experience operating motor vehicles and construction equipment.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of the type of equipment used in an water and wastewater utility environment.
- Basic ability to read, understand and follow routine design drawings, sketches, plans, specifications, work instructions and procedures.
- Ability to accurately follow and carry out verbal and written instruction.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills are required.
- Maintains cooperative and effective working relationships.
- Must be able to multi-task and to balance changing workloads and priorities.
- Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
- Ability to understand and apply CRD safety documents and procedures.
- Respond to emergency call-outs, as required, to ensure operational needs are met.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.