School District No. 44 (North Vancouver)
This position is 35 hours per week, 12 months/year. Commencing Immediately.
WHO WE ARE
From coastal beaches to mountain forests, North Vancouver School District – “the natural place to learn” – provides world-class instruction and a rich diversity of engaging programs to inspire success for every student. Our 25 elementary and 7 secondary schools, 2600 staff and 16,000 students offer a safe and nurturing environment based on trust, respect, responsibility and collaboration. We are looking for enthusiastic and positive individuals to learn, share and grow with us in “the natural place to work”.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for processing, monitoring and reconciling regular and complex financial information in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), School District policies and regulations, provincial statutes, Ministry of Education directives, and other internal and external reporting requirements. The incumbent assists with the preparation of monthly forecasts, annual budgets, quarterly and year end financial statements, including the quarterly GRE, and other documents. The incumbent is responsible for the timely and accurate processing of journal entries and prepares specialized reports, returns, and claims for reimbursement from government and other agencies. The incumbent provides advice and assistance in financial, accounting, budgeting and technical matters to School District staff, suppliers, and the public and may include providing assistance and training to ensure compliance with policies and procedures. Work is performed under direction with independent judgment and action required. Work performance is reviewed for accuracy, completeness and compliance with accepted standards and practices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting practices such as financial statements, internal controls, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger processing.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations and procedures related to GST and PST calculations and remittances.
- Thorough knowledge of computers and applicable financial software including Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to monitor, reconcile and analyze complex financial information and prepare related reports and statements.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with regulations, procedures and practices and work with independent judgment and action under direction.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and act with a high degree of independent judgment on a variety of matters.
- Ability to use a computer and peripheral equipment and applicable software, to produce from copy, rough draft or general instruction, a variety of material, and compose routine correspondence.
- Ability to work in a team environment and demonstrate collaboration and communication/problem solving skills.
- Ability to provide training and professionally communicate orally and in writing, and deal effectively with School District staff, suppliers, government agencies and the public in supplying information and assistance related to accounting issues and budget matters to ensure compliance with accepted practices.
- Ability to test financial software and participate in systems development initiatives.
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet strict deadlines.
- Skill in the use of a computer and applicable software.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce or Finance, or a two year Accounting Diploma from a recognized educational institution. Enrolment in a recognized accounting program (CGA, CMA, CA) or post- secondary program of study that would equate to an equivalency of CGA Level 4. Five years previous related experience in a computerized accounting environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
This is a unionized position and the current rate of pay is $32.69 per hour.
At the North Vancouver School District, our values guide what we do. We support diversity and inclusion in our workplaces and schools; we welcome and respect the diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents of all our employees and students. We value the opportunity to learn, share and grow on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish people, specifically the Skwxwú7mesh Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
Applying to this posting is a two-step process:
Create your profile on Make A Future at https://bit.ly/3koFutU
Apply to this posting
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
All candidates are required to submit to a BC Ministry Criminal Record Check and a local Police Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
** The North Vancouver School District values the time you have taken to submit your application; however, only those applicants selected to move forward will be contacted.**