Permanent, Full Time
The District of Ucluelet, situated on the edge of Vancouver Island’s beautiful west coast, is offering a unique opportunity for a qualified candidate interested in fulfilling the role of Municipal Inspector. Join our dynamic team serving the active, progressive community of Ucluelet!
Municipal Inspector– Permanent, Full Time
RATE OF PAY:
$40.00 per hour (40 hours/week) Less 10% during probationary period
HOURS OR WORK:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 a.m.
July 8, 2021
July 28, 2021
This is a permanent, full-time position that reports to the Manager of Community Planning. Reporting to the Director of Community Planning, the Municipal Inspector will be responsible for reviewing and preparing plan checks, issuing permits, and inspecting conventional and complex buildings at various stages of construction to ensure compliance with the British Columbia Building and Plumbing Codes and other applicable bylaws and statutes. Duties also include responding to public inquiries, administration, and record management, and initiating and managing enforcement action on non-compliant structures and uses. Duties may also include the provision of building inspection services for defined areas within the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District, or First Nation governments as directed by the Director of Community Planning.
The position is primarily responsible for building inspection, but is also responsible for supporting bylaw services, conducting bylaw enforcement and supporting fire inspections.
- Responds to public inquiries regarding building inspection services including technical information, interpretation of codes and bylaws and inspection calls.
- Reviews and completes initial plan submissions and prepares plan checks and calculates building permit costs and associated fees.
- Reviews building plans and associated engineering reports.
- Inspects buildings at various stages of construction to ensure conformance to approved plans, codes and bylaws and provides advice to the builder, as necessary.
- Liaises with District staff, builders and developers.
- Maintains file notes and inspection reports and drafts correspondence related to active building permit requirements and unauthorized construction activities.
- Maintains up-to-date Building Bylaw.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new developments in building technology and associated regulations and ensures that required certifications are current.
- Maintains accurate and complete municipal record keeping. Reviews and processes applications for business licence and sign permits to ensure conformity with municipal regulations.
- Initiates enforcement on non-compliant structures and/or uses, and ensures appropriate follow-up and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Supervises, plans, schedules, coordinates, and directs bylaw enforcement staff activities in accordance with District policies and objectives.
- Prepares reports, records and analysis relative to building inspection and bylaw enforcement operations.
- Assists with the municipal fire inspection program as required.
- Provides advice on maintenance matters related to District owned buildings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of computers and the ability to apply this knowledge to different systems with minimum training.
- Ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions, consistent with the requirements of various District bylaws and Departmental policies.
- Thorough knowledge of the British Columbia Building and Plumbing Codes and other building related statutes.
- Working knowledge of bylaw enforcement procedures.
- Ability to review and evaluate building plans.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; is able and willing to provide exceptional customer service.
Education, Work Experience, Required Qualifications
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by either post-secondary school training in Building Technology at a recognized vocational institute or by an approved apprenticeship program.
- Completion of certification through the Building Officials Association of British Columbia (BOABC) minimum Level I (Level II or III preferred).
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of five (5) years experience in building construction, supplemented by some experience as a construction foreman, superintendent or contractor.
- Preference will be given to candidates with minimum of five (5) years prior job related experience in a local government setting.
- A valid B.C. driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
- A Criminal Record Check clearance is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- Site visits and field work (outside).
- Office environment.
- Occasional attendance at evening meetings.
- Travel within the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District.
- Occasional travel to other areas of British Columbia for training and conferences.
Qualified applicants please apply by sending your resume and cover letter including references to:
Nicole Morin, Corporate/Planning Clerk,
District of Ucluelet
Box 999, 200 Main Street,
Ucluelet, BC V0R 3A0
250 726 7744
The District of Ucluelet wishes to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.