Library Student Shelver
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
The West Vancouver Memorial Library has immediate opening for casual Student Shelvers to join our highly qualified team in the Circulation Department. Reporting to the Assistant Circulation Supervisor, the position of Student Shelver encompasses the following duties:
- Sorting and shelving books and other materials into alphabetical and numerical order;
- Shelf-reading to ensure materials are in proper order on the shelves;
- Assisting with the maintenance and arrangement of library materials; and
- Performing other related duties as required. Successful candidates will possess the following:
- Completion of Grade 9
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate tactfully, courteously, and effectively with patrons of all ages and with other employees
- Experience following established procedures
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, including pushing heavy carts, bending, and standing for long periods of time
This position is ideal for students who seek to gain new experiences and skills in the public library setting. Completion of Grade 9 or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required and the successful candidate must be currently enrolled in high school or an accredited university or college part time (half-time enrollment or greater) or full time program. Successful candidates must also have availability to work weekday evenings and weekends.
Please include your availability in a cover letter or resume. The successful candidate will be required to supply an acceptable police information check and a copy of their credentials. All District of West Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Position Status: Union (WVMEA) – Casual
Hours of Work: Hours and days of work may vary (less than 19 hours per week)
Starting Rate of Pay: $19.16 per hour plus 4% in lieu of benefits
This position has a pay structure with two steps increase after certain hours.
Closing Date: 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2022
To Apply: Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.